Tuesday, June 14, 2011

Sad Sunflowers

Actual Date: Thursday, May 26, 2011
Brooke got this cool Sunflower planter from Uncle Chris and Auntie Jen.  I am not known for my green thumb but I figured how hard could this really be?  

It's made for kids.  It should be easy-pezy right?

First you add water to the little pods.


I love Brooke and Ava in this picture.  They had just finished a major tea party in the playroom.  

Apparently it was a fancy one.

After you pour the water in the little pods start to soak it up right before your very eyes.

It was really kinda cool.

Then it was time to plant the seeds.

There was almost enough to put 2 in every pod.

After the seeds are all planted you put the lid on and that makes the whole green house effect.  We put it up high on a shelf in the girls room because the Sun comes in really good in that spot.  A few days later Brian peeked in there and he said "Hey, they're sprouting."  We all ran over to look and sure enough they were.

A day or two later they were so big they were bumping into the lid so I went ahead and took it off.  Brooke asked if she could take them outside so they could get some fresh air and Sunshine.  I told her yes but we couldn't leave them out there for long.

Two second later I turn around and Ava had filled the whole container up with water and flooded them.  I tried to salvage what I could.  I thought they would be ok.  They probably would have been...  If I hadn't forgot them outside in the 100* heat all day... 

I think they're goners...

I feel so bad.  I'm horrible at keeping plants.

And fish.

Seriously, Brian made me promise awhile back that I would not buy/kill/murder anymore fish.  He named my last two fish "Short Life" and "Half Dead."

Yesterday when I showed him what happened to the Sunflowers he said "If I ever get to the point that I'm a vegetable and need to be taken care round the clock, please promise me you'll hire a Nurse..."

What?!  He doesn't trust me?

On another note I saw this blog today that made me feel a little better - Come Together Kids


At least I'm not the only one.  I really like her idea about using the drawers as planters though.  I think it's too late to do now, and we won't be home most of the Summer anyways.  But I think I will totally do that next year.  


I'll let you know how it goes.


I give it a week.

No comments: