Friday, June 17, 2011

Brooke's Last Day As A Preschooler

Actual Date: Wednesday, June 8, 2011

It's official.  Brooke is done with Pre - K.  

Excuse me why I curl into the fetal position and have and have a Mommy Moment.

Seriously, how did she get so big so fast?

Brooke and her teacher, Ms. Liz.  

I had to make sure I got a picture of this.  A few months ago Brooke's class did an experiment and she hasn't stopped talking about it since.  Basically what they did is plant two of the same type of seeds in two different containers.  On one planter box they put a happy face.


And on the other, a sad face.  

The students job was to talk nice to the happy face plant and mean to the sad face and see if it made a difference in their growth.  

When Brooke first told me about the experiment I asked her what kinds of things she says to the sad face plant.  She said "You know, things like 'Your never going to grow and be pretty.  Nobody likes you.  You're not coming to my Birthday party.' You know, stuff like that."

I'm sure it's that last part about the Birthday party that really got to the poor little sapling.  

As you can see the happy plant is thriving and the sad one, not so much.  I think it might have had a little something to do with the fact that Ms. Liz placed the happy one in front of the window and the sad one in the middle of the class where there is less sunlight.  But I wasn't about to tell Brooke that.  


Both girls are fighting back tears here.

To say that Brooke loves Ms. Liz is an understatement.  She admires her.  

Throughout this last year Brooke has become a fan of Shakira... All because of Ms. Liz.

Learned a great deal of Spanish... All because of Ms. Liz.

Decided that she's going to be a vegetarian (that lasted about a day)... All Because of Ms. Liz.

You get the point.

My heart hurt for poor Brooke when we left on her last day.  She broke down and took it hard.  She hugged everyone but she couldn't even say goodbye because she was crying so hard.  It made me cry to see her so upset.  I've tried telling her that she'll make new friends and love her new teacher just as much but I know she doesn't understand right now.

It helped that Ava and Parker will be going to that same Pre -K eventually.  So she knows we'll go back and visit plenty.

Oh and while we're on the topic of Brooke and school I want to write this down so I don't ever forget it.

The other day we were sitting at a stop light and there was a cop next to us.  Brooke said "Don't look over at him Mom."  I said why not and she said "Because if you take off and drive fast he's going to give you a ticket."  I told her not to worry because I wasn't going to do anything crazy.  

Then she proceeds to tell me "Did you know that Ulysses S. Grant was the only President to receive a speeding ticket while in office?"

Yeah, I had the same reaction.

I asked her where she learned that and she said "I read it on a flash card at my school."

As we headed on down the road I got to thinking and I asked her "Did they even have cars back then?  What number President was he?"

She shoots back "18th."

Who's kid is this?

So anyways when we got home I googled it and sure enough, Grant was the only President to receive a ticket while in office.  The catch is he received his speeding ticket for riding his horse to fast down Washington Street.  He was fined $20.00.

Now you know.  If you ever find yourself on Who Wants To Be A Millionaire and need to use your one phone call, call Brooke.  She's got a wealth of useless knowledge.  

No comments: