Monday, June 20, 2011

Brooke's First (And Second) Dance Recital

Actual Date: Thursday, June 9, 2011
The day had finally come for her first dance recital.  I had seen her practicing during class but I couldn't wait to see her on stage in her costumes.

This one is her firefly costume.  They danced to the Owl City's, Firefly song.


When the song first started they skipped out onto the stage with the lights off waving flashlights around.  It was so stinkn' cute.


She makes a cute firefly.  Don't ya think?

I wish I would have got some pictures while I was doing her make up.  She was beyond excited to be wearing make up.  Seriously, a little too excited.  But I loved seeing how special she felt while I was putting it on.


We had to drop the girls off early that morning to do a dress rehearsal and then we had to bring them back two hours before the show so they could get set up again.  Brooke was happy that they were getting in one more practice.  On the way home from the dress rehearsal she said "Mom, they told us that if we mess up they're not going to stop the music!"  I said if you mess up just keep going, no one will know.  But she was irritated and said "Oh, I won't mess up.  It's the girls behind me that keep doing 'heel, toe tap, march' when we're supposed to be moving on to 'shuffle, tap." (Insert 5 year old eye roll here) 

I about died trying to hold my giggles back.




Remember when I told you about the whole Sunflower debacle?  Well when we went to get some flowers to give to Brooke after her performance, they had some beautiful Sunflowers.  I was so excited.  I knew she would love them.

I don't have video of the performance to share because you weren't allowed to tape because it distracts the kids on stage.  They had a professional photographer taping it so I ordered a video from him.  I can't wait to see it and show our families.  The whole thing was absolutely amazing.

Here's so me of my favorite songs from the show:




I was expecting they would be on a stage in a cafeteria or something but no, it was a full on production.  And my favorite part was that every single dance was done to Christian songs.  The older girls danced to some great songs about body image and how they should love themselves because that's who God made them and he loves them.  

What a great message for these young girls.  When I first started looking for dance studios I stumbled across an add for a Christian dance school in the area.  I was excited because I have seen some dance studios that put young kids in some pretty revealing outfits and have them doing inappropriate moves for their age.  I was hoping with a Christian studio, they dances and costumes would be a little more modest. 

I had a fear though that they were just using the "Christian" name as a ploy to just get people enrolled. My fears were never realized though.  The studio is true to it's word.  They pray with and for the kids.  I have been very happy with our time there.  


Daddy giving Brooke her flowers after the show.


That's her "Hello Sunshine" costume.




We were so proud of her.


This last picture melts my heart.  I love seeing my husband as a Daddy.  He's the best there is.


There's our little dancing queen.


You did an amazing job baby!

Actual Date: Friday, June 10, 2011
The second night Parker and Daddy stayed home and Ava got to be my date to the recital.  I was so excited to see her watch it.  I knew she would be amazed.  Plus, she is starting dance in the Fall (finally!) and I wanted her to see what she had to look forward to next year.  She has been begging to dance for about 6 months now but she wasn't old enough, she had to be 3.

  We got there early and got in line and when we got in we got a seat in like the third row so we were excited.  Then one of my Mommy friends from Brooke's class motioned for us to come join her in the very front row!  She had two seat saved but didn't need them anymore.  So we got to be right up front for the whole thing.  


Sisterly love.  Well, Brooke might have tricked her into this picture.  Ava wouldn't even stand by her for the picture so Brooke pretended to fake cry and little Avers fell for it.  But hey, we got a cute picture out of it.  That's all that matters right?

No comments: