Sunday, February 20, 2011

That's Dr. Parker to You

Actual Date: Friday, January 14, 2011

This day was a busy Dr. day again.  In the morning I had to take Ava to see the Dr. because she had been running a fever and not feeling good for a day or so now.  Ava is my one who hardly ever gets sick so when she is sick, it's usually something that requires antibiotics.  

I'm glad I took her in because they swabbed her for Strep and it came back positive.  

After that appointment we met Daddy at home so he could watch the kids while I went to my Dr.'s appointment.  It was my yearly woman's check up if you know what I mean (sorry if that's TMI), but I also wanted to discuss with her the Migraines I had been having because my primary Dr. and I had decided that they were connected to my cycle.  Since that is her area of expertise, I wanted to hear her opinion on what was going on.

She told me that basically when I'm having these headaches it's a small seizure in my brain.  The only way  to stop them was to stop the cause.  So she suggested that I go on the Depo shot and if my cycle is the cause, the headaches should stop.

 I was nervous about starting the Depo shot because I heard horror stories of that thing making people gain a ton of weight.  My Doctor is really straight forward and she said, "Just control your mouth and you'll be fine.  It's all in your head."  When she walked out of the room her nurse turned to me and said "I was on that shot for 5 years and I don't think I changed my eating habits at all and I still gained 30 pounds!"  Thanks lady, that makes me feel better!

Anyways, I'm just praying that this medicine works.  I had been taking an anti-seizure medication but it was making me so tired and out of it all the time.  That's half of the reason why I got so behind on my blog.  I just didn't have any energy or drive while I was on that medication.   That's one of the reasons I could not continue taking that medication.  Plus, I was still getting headaches when how do I put this nicely, when Aunt Flo came to visit...  So obviously it wasn't the right type of treatment for me.


Recently a reporter suffered from one of the very same Migraines that I have been having while covering the Grammys live on the air.  They originally thought she was having a stroke, just like my Doctors did.  I don't think I've ever lost total control of my speech like she did but I did have a really hard time finding the right words sometimes.  Especially when they're really bad.

Here's some pictures of Mr. Parker Funny Man from that day.



After we got home from taking Ava to the Doctor, Parker went in the playroom and found the Dr. play kit that we have.  He walked around for most of the day with the stethoscope on.


I asked him "Are you a Doctor?"  and he said "Yeah!" and smile.

It still blows my mind every day how big he is getting.  I know I say it a lot but it really seems like just yesterday that he was born!  Slow down Father Time.  I want my babies to stay babies for just a little while longer.

No comments: