Tuesday, July 27, 2010

Day Eighty-Two

Actual Date: Tuesday, June 15, 2010
At the park: Just a swingn'More fun with friends. We met with my Jaime face and her two kids, Kelly and Brady at the park so the kids could run around and play.Parker loved Kelly.Look at little Brady isn't he the sweetest little guy ever?Brooke and Kelly are best buddies, just like their Mama's. Now since we've been home for awhile they have become pen pals. It's so sweet.


After we finished up at the park I went home and put the kids down for a nap. They needed one after all that fun. My Grandma watched them for me while my Mom, Chelsea and I went to my Grandpa's house to check on him. Also my Mom had made a meeting for Pastor Larry to come pray for him.
These next few pictures are of my Mom holding Papa's hand. They speak to me of true devotion and a daughters love.
I am so proud of the way that my Mom has taken care of my Grandpa for these last years of his life. Her heart is a true servant's heart.Unfortunately Papa wasn't doing so well today. He was pretty much unresponsive, except for the few times when we were able to wake him up a little bit and he was able to whisper "Hi Sweetheart" and smile. When we were all sitting around talking, the guy who came with Pastor Larry was telling us a story about how "all the pretty girls" that like his son were trying to win him over with homemade pastries. Even though Papa had shown no signs of being aware that anyone else was even in the room he opened his eyes and said "All the pretty girls?" Ha, that's just like him, a jokester till the end. After a few hours we had to leave because I had an appointment to sell all of the baby equipment back to the Children's Orchard (I talked about my love for that store back on day Sixty-One) because we were heading home soon and would no longer be needing it. So for the last time I took the cool rag and whipped down his face and neck and he woke up a little. I told him "It's time for us to go now. I love you." And that's when he completely melted my heart. He looked right at me and said "Don't go yet." Then he closed his eyes again. I plopped right back down in my chair and held his hand, with tears streaming down my face.
For the past couple days we hadn't been really sure how aware or alert he was, but obviously he was aware enough to know that he didn't want to be alone. When we finally did get up to leave, I kissed his forehead and told him, "I love you." And he opened his eyes a little and whispered, "Love you."
As I write that it brings tears to my eyes. That was the last time I saw my Papa alive. Our trip to California had come to an end and the few days we had left were packed full. When I walked out that day I didn't fully understand that this was our last meeting, I don't think my mind had let me go there yet. But when I think about our last time together, it comforts me. I am so glad that we were able to have those last precious moments together. He passed away on July 6th. I am so grateful that he is at home with Jesus, and not suffering in his old tired body anymore.
The Broken Chain

We little knew that day,
God was going to call your name.
In life we loved you dearly,
In death, we do the same.

It broke our hearts to lose you,
You did not go alone.
For part of us went with you,
The day God called you home.

You left us beautiful memories,
Your love is still our guide.
And although we cannot see you,
Your are always at or side.

Our family chain is broken,
And nothing seems the same,
But as God calls us one by one,
The chain will link again.

-Ron Tranmer-

No comments: