Wednesday, April 21, 2010

Day Sixteen

Actual Date: Monday, April 12, 2010
Just after midnight Ava woke up fussing. She is getting 4 teeth in right now so we figured that's what it was. Brian checked on her and said she felt a little warm, no doubt from the teeth trying to come through, so he gave her some Ibuprofen. At about 2:15 she woke up crying again so I checked on her. She felt really hot and she was shaking uncontrollably. I scooped her up and brought her in our room to take her temperature. It was 103.8* under the arm, without adding a degree or two (I have been told by three different doctors at three different times to a) don't add anything with an under the arm temp., b) add 1 degree to the under the arm temp., c) add two degrees to the under the arm temp.). Regardless, she was really hot and still shaking uncontrollably. I called the nurse advice line through our pediatrician while Brian undressed her so we could cool her off a little bit. We have to leave a message with the advice line and they will call back within a half hour...I'm not a fan of this, a lot can happen in a half an hour. So, we decided to give her a cool bath and give her some Tylenol and see if that helped. It didn't. By the time the nurse had called back, we were getting her dressed to take her to the hospital. She was shaking worse and the nurse said to go ahead and take her.
Luckily we live literally down the street from a hospital so we got there in less than 3 min. and they got her right in. The poor girl had an ear infection, probably a result of the Strep throat she had a few weeks ago. And on top of that she had pink eye in both eyes. I had known something was going on with her eyes because they were all green and buggery and her cousin that had been visiting had had to get eye drops for his eyes before he came out here. I had planned on calling the doctor first thing Monday morning but might as well get it taken care of since we were in the emergency room.
Finally her fever started to come down to a safe temperature and they gave her a shot of antibiotic to get her started. They wanted us to hang around for a half an hour so they could monitor her a little longer so I curled up on the bed with her and cuddled her. She was a little out of it because her fever, she kept cracking me up. She would sit up and say in a paranoid voice, "what's that sound? You hear that? Somebody is watching Berry-Cake!" Berry-Cake is what she calls Strawberry Short Cake, her favorite show. It was really cute.
After the half hour was up she was doing much better and they gave us our prescriptions and let us go home. I was amazed when I walked in the door at 4:05 a.m. We had left at 2:45 a.m. for the emergency room and we were there and back home in less than two hours! I love living in a small town. :o)
This was Ava and I Cuddled up in the hospital waiting for the doctor.
So what we had on our calender for Monday was dentist appointments for the kids and I. Obviously Ava was not in any shape to make hers so I called and rescheduled hers. I was still not feeling my best but I figured it was from not getting a great nights sleep and my allergies were still acting up. So I went ahead and went to my dentist appointment. After doing all my x rays and all that fun stuff the hygienist started doing her thing before the doctor came in, and she asked "have you been sick recently?" I told her well I am not feeling so hot but I was thinking it was my allergies...?... Then she told me that she thinks I have Strep throat because there are white patches all over my tonsils! Yikes! My throat hadn't been hurting at all! The hygienist was so sweet, she told me to hurry and get over to the doctor and maybe I'll catch it before it gets too bad. So I called to make an apt. but I couldn't get in until Tuesday.
I went home to get Brooke (Brian had to take the day off to help me watch the kids so I could go to the dentist) and take her to her dentist. He was really nice. He was from Cleburne and he had lived in Huntington Beach for awhile too. Small world! Brooke's visit went awesome. No cavities and everything looks great! Just look at those pearly whites.


No comments: