Wednesday, October 20, 2010

Day One Hundred and Fifty-One

Actual Date: Monday, August 23, 2010First day of school!

She was excited.


And a little nervous.


Outside the school's front door with Epi Pen and Benadryl in hand. I'm having a hard time putting her out there in that big scary peanut world. But I can't keep her in a bubble forever.

She does a good job at being her own advocate. She even reminds me to read the labels sometimes. I'm just worried that someone won't know how to properly read the labels and accidentally give her something she's not supposed to have.

Listening to the teacher.

The day we dropped her off, we learned that the school had just been bought out by a new owner. And that owner was going to be the new director. From what I hear this is a very good change. But because of that, we had to fill out all new paper work that very morning so it made the drop off a little more hectic. I think if we would have been able to just walk her to her room, meet her teacher, find her cubbie and say good bye she would have been fine. But we sat at the front desk for quite a while filling out all new emergency contact information and allergy statements.

It's so weird to fill those things out now that we're in Texas so far away from everyone. If we were still in California, I could put a million people down for emergency contacts. But here, I struggle to try to fill out the required three lines. Luckily we have been blessed with some awesome neighbors and friends. Not saying that our neighbors aren't friends...you get what I mean...right?

Anyways, by the time we got all the paper work filled out I could see the worry on her face. The director and Brian kept asking her if she wanted to go check out her class room and meet some friends but she was glued to my side and the tears were starting to come. Once I finished with the paperwork she let me take her to her classroom where we talked to her teachers went over her allergy information and how to administer her medication if needed. It makes me feel a little better that there is a Fire station directly across the street from the school. Help is just a stone throw away if they need it.

So this is my new reality. I have a preschooler. I knew this day would come. And next year it's going to be even harder. But we'll cross that bridge when we get there.

No comments: