Monday, April 4, 2011

Pie With A Purpose

Actual Date: Friday, March 11, 2011

A few months ago I met a new friend.  She's in my Thursday night Women's Bible Study group and her name's Paula.  She has such a sweet heart.  A month or so ago her and her family got the opportunity to adopt a six month old baby from a young friend who was not ready to parent yet.  She made the unselfish decision to put her baby in a home where she knew she would be well taken care of and have everything she could ever want.  The whole story is amazing.  It gives you the chills, you can't deny that God had a huge part in it all.

However since the adoption was so fast and not planned, there was a lot to do and a lot of money that needed to be raised in a short time.  One of the things Paula did to earn money was to have a garage/ bake sale.  Our women's group and some other people donated things and we helped her get it all set up and priced Thursday night so she would be ready to open Friday morning.

 Of course I had just had a major Spring Clean Fling mood earlier in the month and had already taken a car load of stuff to the Goodwill which didn't leave me with a whole lot to offer up for the Garage sale.  So I decided that we would make a pie to put on the bake sale table.  

Brooke was at school for "Friday Fun-day" even though she usually only goes Monday through Wednesday because she was sick earlier in the week.  The director (and all the teachers) at her school are so sweet and they let her come Wednesday through Friday instead.  Let me tell you she was beyond excited because on "Friday Fun-day" they don't have to wear their uniforms and get to watch a movie at nap time instead of sleeping.  That's HUGE in the life of a four year old.

Anyways it was just the two little tikes and I at home.  Parker was playing nicely by himself so I asked Ava if she wanted to help me make the pie to help bring Mrs. Paula's baby home.  

There's my little helper girl.  

We used the peeler that Grammy Girl bought us a few years ago.  It peels the skins off into slinky like swirls.  The kids love to play with them.

My Grammy has a Apple Orchard.  When we lived in California we were lucky enough to receive bags and bags of amazing apples.  When Brooke was Ava's age we had a lot of fun making apple sauce, apple cakes, apple pies... all things apple.  


Can I just take a Mommy minute and say I want this baby to stay this way forever.  I ask her all the time if she will stay my baby forever and she usually says in a sympathetic voice,  "When I get bigger you will be little."  

I don't know what that means but I love to hear her say it.  

Did I mention how much I love that peeler?  It makes making pies easy as pie.

Oh and check out this snazzy tool that my Mom bought me.  It's like a pie crust cookie cutter.  One side is apples for apple pie.  And the other side is pumpkins for pumpkin pie.  It's so fun and it makes you look like a fancy pants without having to do any work!

Ava taste testing the apples.  

They passed.  Although she did have to eat 4 or 5 before making her final call.  She just wanted to be sure.

About that time someone snuck quietly in and out of the kitchen.  When I followed him to see what he was doing I found this: Mouth stuffed full of apple peel and dragging along another strip of it behind him.  

Busted!

Oh well.  It was less for me to clean up.  The funny thing is he thought he was doing something really naughty and being really sneaky about it.  

And this is where the picture of the finished pie would be if there was one...  I forgot to take one, so sue me!

We took the pie to Paula the following day for her bake sale.  The garage sale/ bake sale was very successful and I'm happy to announce that baby Jocelyn came home last Saturday.  She's so sweet and adorable.  I am so happy for Paula and her family. She turned 40 and became a mother of 4 all in the same week.  What an awesome Birthday present is that?

No comments: