Wednesday, April 6, 2011

"Biscuit Things"

Actual Date: Saturday, March 19, 2011

Here's another cooking post for ya.  These are a family favorite in our house.  I'm not sure what they are really called.  But they're called "biscuit things" in this house.

Brian: "What's for dinner?"

Me: "Biscuit things."

See?

I'm not even sure of the proper measurements for a recipe.  My Mom saw them on a show or saw them in a magazine about 10 years ago and we decided we could make them ourselves. Thus the "biscuit things" were born.

They are a great go to dinner because it's super simple to make and if you make enough you'll have left overs for lunch.  They keep and reheat really well.

You need: a can of Homestyle biscuits.  I was really excited when I found these Golden Wheat Reduced Fat ones.  They make me feel like a health nut.

And you need some kinda meat.  We've used anything from ground turkey to smoked chicken breast.  This night I used ground beef.

You can cut down the prep time for this meal if you cook the meat ahead of time or use left over meat from another meal.

Cheese. 

Again I took the lazy Mom approach and used the pre grated kind. 

 I bought a big bag of it at Costco a long time ago and I've never looked back.  It's changed my life.

  It's a huge bag.  And it costs the same per pound as a soild block.  Why would anyone not buy it?  It's a huge bag so what I do is put it in 2 gallon size bags when I get home.  One goes in the fridge to use and the other goes in the freezer for a later date.

You'll also need a rolling pin and flour.  You could opt not to use the rolling pin and just use your hand to flatten out the dough but the pin makes quick work of it.

Lightly flour the counter and pull out one biscuit.


Roll it out into sort of an oval shape.  


Then fill up one side of the oval with the meat of your choice.

Add the cheese.

Then fold it over and press down the edges to keep it shut.  

Place on a cookie sheet and cook as directed on the biscuit tin.

When they come out they will look like this:


Oh wait.  I again forgot to take a picture of the final product.

I guess I'm making a habit of this.  It's only because these biscuit things are so yummy that when they were done we couldn't wait long enough to get a picture.  We had to eat them right away.

If you think I'm joking ask Brian.  He's burned his mouth plenty times on many a biscuit things.  He'll never learn.

Oh and you can make them with breakfast foods too, like eggs and bacon.  I haven't tried it yet but a lady who works with Brian did. She saw Brian eating a biscuit thing at work one day and called me to ask me what the heck it was.  She said the breakfast one's are yummy.  I have it on my to-do list to make the breakfast ones soon.

Mmmm.  Breakfast Biscuit Things.  My mouth is watering just thinking of it.  

2 comments:

aubri said...

Bahahahahaha! Your posts are killing me with the blank finished product pictures! I laugh EVERY time I get to that point! These look delish by the way!

Kyla said...

I know! What the heck is wrong with me. I get all the before and during pictures but no afters! What a dork I am.