Monday, January 16, 2012

A Work In Progress

So part of the reason why I haven't been posting as much as I use to is because I have been helping out with the remodel of our new church campus.  I've actually been nicknamed "Design Diva" (thanks Wendi :o) because I've been knee deep in design ideas for the last 2 1/2 months.  It's a bit overwhelming but it's a ton of fun too. 

  We moved in to this building in November and there have been some big changes since then.  Lots of my family members and friends who live out of state have been asking for pictures of the progress so here ya go.  Here's a sneak peak at a few of the changes:

Before:

There was a Dr. Seuss kind of theme everywhere before.  It was playful and fun but our children's ministry is called "Adventure Camp" and the decor didn't fit in with our whole camping theme.  So, we've made a few changes.  

 After:


It's getting there.  Nothing is completely finished yet so I just gave you a sneak peak of a few rooms/hallway.  

So we had a snag in our flooring installation earlier in the week last week... I got word that the flooring had arrived so I hurried over to talk to the installers and check it out.  I was very excited because I have been eating, sleeping, breathing flooring for the past month or so.  
Laminate...
Hardwood...
Carpet...
Laminate and carpet together...
Vinyl plank...

And we're back. Well, when I got to the Campus the guys pulled a piece straight out of the box and I about fainted.  It was not what I remembered it being.  I looked over the box and it had the right name but I just didn't remember it being that light and that red.  Pastor Paul's exact words to me were "Find the darkest wood with the most hand scraped texture that you can find."  Well this was not the stuff.  The flooring guy said that sometimes you don't realize what the whole floor will look like from the little sample piece they show you at the store.  Not the most comforting words I wanted to hear at that point.

I had to go get Brooke and take the girls to dance so I told the guys to go ahead and get started on the install and I would come back later and check it out.  When I got back they had laid down about 1,000 sqft. of the stuff and I had a internal panic attack when I saw it.  Paul was out of town on a mission trip and wouldn't be back until the morning.  I knew he was going to hate it the second he saw it.  I went home and started researching local churches, just in case I could never show my face there again.  (Kidding!  I told him this and he laughed)

Anyways it all worked out ok.  Turns out the company mixed up.  They had put the wrong product in our boxes!  Hal-a-lu-ur!  I was so relieved.  Those poor boys had to take up all that floor they had just laid and lay down the new stuff.  It was all worth it though because we all LOVE the look and color of the new floor. 

Because of the mix up, we ran out of glue and were unable to finish laying one of the main rooms.  I am kind of glad that happened though because one of the teachers had a great idea.  We got a ton of Sharpies and let the kids each right their hopes, dreams and prayers for the new building on the concrete.  I love, love, love that they were able to do that.  

That is Brooke's drawing in that picture.  They told the kids to draw or write what their "Dream Church" would look like.  Brooke said she wanted it to have a indoor pool with a water slide.  

So there ya have it.  It's a work in progress but it's getting there!

No comments: