Thursday, August 25, 2011

Squid Dogs

Actual Date: Sunday, July 17, 2011

This day was a little sad for us.  We had to say goodbye to Uncle Chris and Auntie Jen and then soon after we had to take Daddy to the airport.  We wouldn't see him again for another 3 and 1/2 weeks.

When we dropped him off for his flight Brooke was bawling, I was crying and Ava was looking at us like we were nuts.  That is until about 20 minutes into our drive home.  That's when the flood gates open up.  I asked her what was wrong and she said "I want Daddy!"

It broke my little heart.  This was going to be a long 3 1/2 weeks for all of us.

After we got back from the airport we went to my Mom's house to hang out.  


My mom has this stupid black truck at her house that all the kids just go crazy over.  Everything is broken on this thing.  Everything...

I'm pretty sure you probably shouldn't play with it unless your up to date on your Tetanus shots...

But the kids love it so that's all that matters.  


Every year we say "Ok well when Winter rolls around we'll chuck it." But obviously that has yet to happen.


But just think, if we had thrown it away we would have missed out on those faces.  


And these ones.  Parker's face is killing me here.  He was just screaming "Ahhhhhhhhhhh" at the top of his lungs until he was blue in the face, while Ava spun them around and a round.


Garenn and Tanner came over and everyone was hungry so I decided to try out this idea that I had seen on my friend Kristine's blog.  It was a little idea called Squid Dogs.

Basically it's just hot dogs, cut in half with noodles stabbed in them.  When you cook them the noodles go limp and it ends up looking like squids!  

Genius.






Parker was very focused on making his Squid Dog.


Well, that's when he wasn't busy stuffing his face with the raw hot dogs.


I loved Tanners. He made a guy out of his.



Finished products before they hit the pot to boil.

While they were cooking I was looking around my Mom's house at all the crazy knickknack things that I remember from my childhood.  One of the things that's been on the wall as long as I remember is this.  It's a letter that Frank Sinatra wrote to my Mom telling her that she was a hero in his eyes.  Isn't that an amazing compliment.  If you don't know what he's referring to you can read the piece Reader's Digest did on the story by clicking here.  My Mama's a pretty amazing that Woman.  And if she ever tries to deny it, that paper proves her otherwise.  

Ok back to the Squid dogs, they're done!  This is the one that came out the most like a Squid.  Cool huh?


They were a hit with the kids.






I think there must have been crazy pills inside those hot dogs or something because as soon as the kids started eating them they turned into goofy goofballs.

All and all, Squid Dogs were a hit.  I'm not sure that I would want to eat one but the kids sure loved making and eating them.  

No comments: