Friday, September 24, 2010

Day One Hundred and Thirty-Six

Actual date: Sunday, August 8, 2010

The church we have been going to is fairly new. It was started almost 4 years ago. So for the time being, we meet at a local school. The church has started a tradition of gathering up backpacks full of school supplies for children in need at the beginning of the school year. We thought this would be a good way to give back and it was something we as a family could all participate in. It was a good teachable moment.

We got our little list of what exactly a 5th grader would need and headed to Target! Man oh man, walking through that Back To School section brought back some memories. Fond memories of Lisa Frank folders, big fat pink erasers and the beautiful sight of a brand spankn' new box of Crayolas. I remember the pure excitement I had ever year when my Mom would take me to pick out the stuff on my list.

We took a vote. Who wanted to make a backpack for a boy and who wanted to do a girl? Poor Brian was out voted and we went with making one for a girl. Brooke and I had so much fun picking out all the cute girly stuff for the backpack. Seriously we were in that section for at least a half an hour, probably more.

After all that I am kinda excited to go school shopping with Brooke next year when she starts Kindergarten. I'm not so excited about the whole dropping her off all day thing but we've got to start somewhere.

We took our backpack to church with us on this morning and piled it up with the other donated backpacks. After the service was over we headed over to the church property to take our new member class and to witness some baptisms. I can't ever get through a baptism without crying. Even if I don't know the people. haha I just love hearing every ones personal story and there's something about seeing someone publicly proclaim their faith.

But during the whole thing, Parker was kinda fussy. Totally not himself. He would not stay with the other kids who where playing and even when he was with me he was still whinny. So we left a little early and headed home to put him down for a nap. Little did we know that he had a good reason for all that fussiness...

No comments: