Tuesday, May 4, 2010

Day Thirty-Eight

Actual Date: Sunday, May 2, 2010

Ok so for the last year and a half or so I have gotten really into using coupons and I can't believe how much I've saved us. I usually average a savings of about $10.00 for every $100.00 we spend. But I have saved up to $60.00 in one shopping trip once. That was a proud day. Contrary to popular belief, the are not just for junk food and sugary treats. I have found them for cleaning supplies (even Earth friendly ones), organic food and even for medical supplies like Brooke's EpiPens.

A few friends have asked what I do to get these kinds of savings so I will share with you the tricks I know. I don't know all the tricks but here are the ones I've been using so far:

#1: Visit websites and print coupons out store coupons at home. (The Sunday paper is still my favorite place to get them though) But be careful because some stores don't accept all printed coupons. For example, Target only takes printed coupons from their site.
#2: Have some kind of organization system. What I do is go through all the coupons, only cut out or print the one's I know I want or will use. Then I plan my shopping list for the week. I have one of those accordin style coupon holders. What works for me is putting ALL of my coupons in one folder in the back.
The ones in the second from the back folder are restaurant coupons. Don't forget about those! I get them for everything from Chuck E. Cheeses to Olive Garden. Then I get them all out and look through them while I am making my list. The ones that I am going to use I put in the front of pocket of the holder that way they are right there for me to see what I need to get.

As I shop and find the items to match the coupons I move the ones that I've used already to the next pocket back so that it's easier to see what I still have left to get. Make sure you read your coupons carefully because sometimes you have to buy more than one of something to get the discount.

#3: Have a action plan. With three small kids it's hard to go anywhere let alone try to shop with coupons. It does take a little longer because you have to read your coupons to make sure you're getting the right thing and also take time to compare the prices against the store brand because sometimes it doesn't pay to use the coupon. Having said that I've found sometimes the store brand isn't always cheapest either so be sure to pay attention.

Something that really seems to help me cut down on the time is to make a list. As I make my list I make a star next to everything that I have a coupon for so that while I'm shopping I know that I need to look over my coupon for that item when I get to it.

#4: Coupon Stacking: Some stores, for sure Target, Walgreen's and CVS, will let you use a manufacturer's coupon along with their store coupon. When I learned this that's when I really started to save money. I have gotten things for free before because of this. Double check to make sure that your store participates and if they do take advantage.

#5: Use reusable bags! Not only is it good for the environment but some stores like Target will give you money back for using them. I get $.05 back for every bag I use at Target.

I have saved tons this past year and a half by just following these few simple steps.

No comments: