Monday, January 24, 2011

Day One Hundred and Eighty-Seven

Actual Date: Tuesday, September 28, 2010
Goofy Little Ava is ready for bed. I love that she's such a comedian. She takes after her Mama.

We had added a new step into our bedtime routine. I found this daily devotional, or in Ava's words "Boshinal", for little girls and we read it every night before we tuck the girls in bed. It's a great teaching tool. Some nights the girls are more into it than others but on the good nights we've had some pretty good talks with the girls about real life experiences. It's amazing to me how much they can understand at such a young age.

One night the devotional was about how you should forgive people, even if they've been mean to you. This struck a cord with Brooke because a few days earlier she had a friend who had said some mean things to her. She said "So even though that hurt my feelings, I should forgive her."

Another night the Devotional was about telling the truth. It was ironic because just that day Brooke had lied about her worksheet from school. She told me that her teacher never explained it to her because she was "a crybaby" and that's why she got a lot of the answers wrong. When I heard that it upset me and I said why would she call you that? Finally after I said "Well lets go back and have a talk with her because that's not something she should be saying to students..." She finally told me that she was lying. She said that she hadn't been paying attention when her Teacher gave the directions and that's why she didn't know how to do it right. She was afraid that I would be mad so she made the whole thing up.

It was a great teachable moment. It's amazing how the Lord used that simple devotional at the exact time that Brooke needed it. It allowed us discuss even further why we shouldn't lie and that our lies can actually hurt people.

No comments: