Monday, January 24, 2011

Day One Hundred and Eighty-One

Actual Date: Wednesday, September 22, 2010

This day I went to my primary doctor to discuss the events of the weekend and get a second opinion. He reviewed all of my tests from the hospital and he said that my blood sugar when I got to the hospital was super low. Like 54 or something. He said that people start going into diabetic comas when they get into the 40's. I told him that when it all first started I felt like I was suffering from low blood sugar. He sent me to the lab to get some more blood tests and had me schedule an appointment to come in and do a glucose test. Lord how I hate those things.

You have to do them when you're pregnant to make sure that you do no have something called Gestational Diabetes. Basically you have a couple minutes to drink this really nasty drink that tastes like an Otter pop loaded with extra sugar, and then you wait an hour for your body to process the sugar. After that they take your blood and that tells how your body is doing with controlling your sugars.

When I took that test during my first two pregnancies, it showed that I was borderline diabetic. So at that point they made me come back in to do a three hour glucose test! It's just as awful as it sounds. You have to fast, drink the Otter Pop junk and then for they poke you like you're a pin cushion for the next three hours. Needless to say I was not to thrilled about having to do that test again but I agreed that it was probably something that need to be done. Especially if it gave us an answer as to why all this was happening.

He also said that he didn't want me driving until we got this all straightened out. I had been having some episodes of vertigo that were making me feel really out of whack. Not drive?! How was that going to happen? Brooke has dance class and Parker has physical therapy twice a week!

That evening I went to a local coffee shop with my friend Karen. I met Karen when we lived in Texas a few years ago. Her husband, Brian, works for the same company as my Brian and they had just been transferred to Texas as well. We both got pregnant with our first babies within a month of each other. We had fun shopping outings talking about how crazy it would be that we would both be totting around little ones soon.

Now here we are 4 years later. I have three little one's and she is pregnant with her fourth! Where did the time go?

I felt so bad because I had to ask my pregnant friend to please pick me up because I wasn't allowed. She was so sweet and didn't mind. We had a good time. It was nice to get out for some much needed girl talk.

I didn't finish my whole drink so I decided I would bring it home, put it in the fridge and give it to the girls as a treat in the morning. Don't freak, it was decaff!

No comments: