Monday, April 9, 2012

Easter Festivities and Such

Seems like Easter came and went before we knew it this year.

  Maybe it snuck up on me because I was too busy pouting because Chelsea, Gram and the boys couldn't make it out this year.  This is the first Easter we've done without them.  Without any family for that matter.  

Holidays are always bitter sweet around here.  It's fun and exciting to see everything through the kids eyes but we're also sad because we aren't able to see the ones we love.

However, we did get to see this little guy via Facetime earlier this week.  And I just can't wait for July so I can squish and kiss him!

Like it or not, Easter was going to happen if we had family here to celebrate with us or not.  So we busted out the decorations and carried on.  

I forgot we had this fun little egg spinner from last year.


It reminds me of that Spin Art thing we used to play with as kids.  

This year, thanks to Pintrest we started a new tradition.  Resurrection Rolls! {via}  Her pictures are way better than mine because the lighting is so bad in my kitchen so head over there and check them out.  She also has a great kid friendly book that explains the death and resurrection of Christ. I need to find that for next year!  Although I was pleasantly surprised by Brooke's explanation and knowledge about the whole event.   She is listening! And thank you to our amazing Children's Ministry at church.  She is learning so much there every week. 

Basically you just need a few simple things to make the Resurrection Rolls.

1. 1 package Crescent Dinner rolls
2. 1 large marshmallow per roll
3. melted butter
4. Cinnamon and sugar mixture



First you dunk the the marshmallow in the butter and then roll it through the Cinnamon and sugar.  Parker's face is priceless here.

  Again, go back and read the original Resurrection Roll blog post because she has a great way of explaining the symbolism behind everything.  

In our house we kept it simple at least for now since the kids are still kinda young.  I told them that Jesus was pure and without sin and that's what the white marshmallow represents.  And then when we rolled on the Cinnamon and sugar I told them that represented our sin that Jesus took to the cross for us.

After that you roll the marshmallow up in one of the triangle rolls.  Be sure to pinch the edges real good. The kids needed a little help with this part.  

The roll represents the tomb Jesus' body was placed in for burial.


After cooking the rolls for 12 minutes at 350* they are ready.  Be sure to let them cool before handling.  

I sat the kids around the table so they could all see the big reveal.  When you cut into the roll you can see that the tomb is now empty.  He is Risen!

I just loved this hands on way of explaining things.  And the kids enjoyed it too.  They were actually really yummy as well.  We are going to do this every year from now on!


Sunday morning the kids got up early to see what the Easter Bunny had brought.  Here's Daddy trying to sneak a bite of Parker's peep.  Little man was not quite awake yet and was kind of confused as to why we were handing him candy first thing in the morning.  He was a little suspicious at first but once he took a bite he got over that.


After baskets we headed outside to see what Mr. E. Bunny had done with our eggs.












I love how these ones turned out.  Some of the shells got cracked when we were dying because of a certain boy who shell (pun intended) remain nameless.

Last night I had one last surprise for the kids.  I found this cool idea for a glow in the dark egg hunt {via} and I knew they would love it.  If you do this with your kids make sure you have LARGE eggs.  I struggled for about 10 minutes trying to get the bracelets into the regular sized eggs.  They kept popping back open.  And at one point one of the bracelets busted open spraying glow in the dark goo all over me and the girls dresser.  It was kind of cool looking.... It gave me a idea that I might come back to on down the road to make "tooth fairy dust."  But that's for a later date.

I finally broke down and grabbed the larger eggs out of each of the kids baskets.  Those worked a lot better.  And the designs on them kinda looked cool lit up.  After they were all stuffed with a glow stick each, I got to work hiding them around their rooms.
  
Hope you don't mind a little potty humor.  Tee he he.  I couldn't resist.




The kids loved it!  Now that I know the tricks I am going to stock up on sticks and large eggs for next year.  I think it would be fun to do a night time hunt with friends and family.


In other news: We could use some help around here.  

Parker has all of a sudden become terrified to sleep alone.  For the past week we have all dreaded bedtime.  He screams, cries, and shakes so bad he almost makes himself sick.  He just wants to get in our bed with us.  One night while I was out late at a meeting Brian let him sleep in Ava's bed with her and he was good with that.  He even slept on the floor in their room on his nap mat from school another night.  But last night he didn't want to be anywhere but with me or Brian.  

Welp, no luck.

We put him in bed last night at 8:00 and kept getting out, and we kept putting him back in until around 10:30 last night.  Every time we went back in there to put him back in bed we kept reassuring him that he was safe and that we were watching out for him and that we would be back to check on him soon. The few times we found him in his bed when we went back to check on him we praised him for obeying and staying in his bed.  And then I would rub his back for a minute or two and reassure him again that we were right outside his door and he was safe.  

By 11 both Brian and I were exhausted.  We were laying on the floor in the hallway with Chester and our phones, playing Scrambled with Friends praying he would fall asleep soon.  Every minute or two Parker would say "Mommy?!  Daddy?!" and we'd say "We're right here. You're ok.  Go to sleep."  Finally he gave in to pure exhaustion from all the crying and carrying on sometime after 11.  

Help!  Anyone been through this before?  What did you do?  After a week straight of this we're at our wits end.  We're desperate to have our peaceful bedtime routine back.

Oh and I forgot to share Parker's newest tattoo.  The "chicks" dig it!

No comments: