Wednesday, March 31, 2010

Day Four



Ava woke us all up bright and early this morning so we had plenty of time to get ready for the day. How thoughtful of her. :o) When I was finally awake enough to appreciate the beauty of the morning I knew this beautiful day couldn't go to waste. We packed up and headed to the library for story time like we do most Wednesdays. The theme was eggs and Easter. The kids had fun doing the "Easter Bunny Hokey Poky." Even Parker had fun "shaking it all bout." He kept shaking his head back and forth and laughing after that part.

After the class was over, the Librarian handed out chocolate bunnys to everyone for Easter. Of course, like I do with everything, I had to double check the allergy statement to see if it had anything with nuts in it to make sure it was safe for Brooke to eat. Unfortunately it was processed in a plant that processes peanuts. She was so very sad. I felt so bad for her because all of her friends were eating them and I could tell she was upset because she got a little teary eyed. But I am so proud of her, she just looked up at me with her eyes welled up with tears and said "Mom, do you think when we get home I can trade this candy for something special?" Of course I told her that would be ok. At home we have a special container of "special things" that she can trade unsafe candy or treats that she has been given by other people. It mostly gets used around the holidays, like Halloween, Valentines and Christmas.

She is so special, wise beyond her years. It makes me feel so much better every time I hear her ask someone "do you know if that has peanuts in it?" because it gives me confidence that soon she will be able to act as an advocate for herself and that will give me some relief. I always make sure to bring a special treat for her when we go to birthday parties or get togethers just in case she isn't able to have the cake or whatever the treat is, but I think from now on I think I will slip a little something special into my purse for days like today. I'm still learning how to best handle this obstacle we've been given but luckily I have an amazing daughter who knows how to roll with the punches.


Oh and P.S.








































No comments: